Home » Archives by category » Community (Page 2)

New Features at the Library – Check It Out!

New Features at the Library – Check It Out!

If you haven’t been inside the Central Library on Cedar Road lately, October will be a good time to visit. The flagship building for the Chesapeake Public Library (CPL) System…

Chesapeake Christian Music Festival is a Hit!

Chesapeake Christian Music Festival is a Hit!

By JOHN DOWNS, SR. They came with lawn chairs and beach blankets. Many wore blue jeans, and some were dressed for an evening on the town. There were moms holding…

Tidewater Arts Outreach: Bringing Hope and Healing Through the Arts

Tidewater Arts Outreach: Bringing Hope and Healing Through the Arts

By BELINDA ELLIOTT Each month across Hampton Roads talented musicians and other artists give top-notch performances for crowds of all ages. You won’t find these events listed with Ticketmaster, and…

What the World Needs Now is….

What the World Needs Now is….

By ERIC WATT Most mornings I wake up with a melody in my heart – even before I hit the shower!  Odd, I know.  It’s usually a happy song and,…

TowneBank Employees Benefit Girl Scouts during Day of Caring

TowneBank Employees Benefit Girl Scouts during Day of Caring

Fifteen volunteers from TowneBank gave a helping hand to the Girl Scouts as part of Day of Caring sponsored by United Way of South Hampton Roads. Organizations throughout Hampton Roads benefited from…

The Mayor’s Ambassadors

The Mayor’s Ambassadors are middle school youth (rising 6th, 7th, and 8th graders) who do not routinely receive recognition but make a difference in unique, personal ways. They are your…

Miniature Horses Bring Joy to Chesapeake Place

Miniature Horses Bring Joy to Chesapeake Place

Recently Chesapeake Sheriff Jim O’Sullivan and Courtney Culpepper from Grassfield Sport Horses visited Chesapeake Place Assisted Living with three miniature horses. The visit was the kickoff to Sheriff O’Sullivan and…

Chesapeake First Citizen Award Banquet to honor Roland Davis

Chesapeake First Citizen Award Banquet to honor Roland Davis

By JOHN DOWNS, SR The 45th edition of the Chesapeake Rotary Club’s annual First Citizen Award banquet will be unlike any of its 44 predecessors.  As a premier signature event…

South Norfolk Memorial Library

South Norfolk Memorial Library

New South Norfolk Memorial Library Opens The new South Norfolk Memorial Library opened on July 8, 2013 to rave reviews from all who attended the ceremony. Mayor Alan Krasnoff presided…

From the Pulpit

From the Pulpit

The Bible’s Standards for Marriage Are Best for Society By DR. WILL LANGFORD Years ago I heard about a college man who walked into a photography studio with a framed…